2. Assessment Brief
The required submission for this assignment is a 3500-word business report. Students are required to complete TWO tasks:
- Evaluate the personal effectiveness strategies of Sundar Pichai, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) at Google, and
- Discuss how you intend to apply personal effectiveness principles your own personal development
The Learning Outcomes that you have to meet in order to pass this assessment are:
- (LO1) Critically evaluate how people learn for professional development.
- (LO2) Appraise the key skills and behaviours required to be effective in a professional context.
- (LO3) Demonstrate understanding of how to be successful in a competitive job market.
Your management report should contain the following:
a) A brief introduction giving:
- a definition of Personal Effectiveness
- an explanation of the importance of Personal Effectiveness to professional development
- an overview of the main body of report, which MUST mention the key points of task b (case study review) and c (reflective statement) below
b) Case Study Review: a critical evaluation of Sundar Pichai’s skills and behaviours
In this section you must:
- Present an outline of Sundar Pichai’s key skills and behaviours
- Discuss and give examples of Sundar Pichai’s positive qualities and the effects they have
- Discuss and give examples of Sundar Pichai’s negative qualities and the effects they have
For your critical evaluation you must link the outline, positive qualities and negativequalities to at least TWO theoretical frameworks covered in this module, e.g. Covey’s 7 Habits, the CEO Genome Project, the CMI Code of Conduct or others
(This task meets LO1 and LO2)
c) Reflective Statement: an analysis of your personal skills and behaviours, with a plan to improve on your weaknesses
In this section you must conduct a self-assessment test using any self-assessment tool from the Topic Workbooks:
- Summarise the results of your self-assessment test, explaining your key weaknesses as identified by the test
- Discuss the effect these weaknesses have on your employability prospects
- Present a clear and structured plan to improve on these weaknesses
- Critically evaluate the impact of your planned improvements on your professional development
For your critical evaluation you must link your keyweaknesses, their effectsand the plan to improve on them to at least TWO theoretical frameworks covered in this module, e.g. Covey’s 7 Habits, the CEO Genome Project, the CMI Code of Conduct or others
(This task meets LO1 and LO3)
d) A brief conclusion covering:
- Key points of task b (case study review)
- Key point of task c (reflective statement)
- A summarising remark which explains the connection between tasks b and c
Use of evidence in all parts of the report
Your report must contain evidence that you have read and understood the theories, models, additional reading and case studies in Personal Effectiveness on the Hub. This evidence must be present in all sections of the report: the introduction, case study review, reflective statement and conclusion.
Which forms of evidence must be in the report
- In-text citations and a bibliography: there must be citations in every paragraph of every section; they should be supported by a bibliography containing a minimum of 20 references
- Links to theoretical frameworks: there must be a minimum of 2 frameworks applied in the case study and 2 in the reflective statement. To apply frameworks effectively you must explain how Sundar Pichai’s skills, and your own strengths and weaknesses, compare to the qualities contained within the theories you choose. For example, you could discuss how Pichai demonstrates the CEO Genome Project habit of ‘deciding with speed and conviction’.
- References to the case studies: in the case study review there must be frequent references to the case studies which can be found in the Apply section of every topic on the Hub
- References to additional reading: in the case study review and reflective statement there must be frequent references to the articles and videos in the additional tasks, which can be found in the Prepare section of every topic in the Hub