This module gives an overview of the strategic decision-making methods and approaches of the aviation industry; financial measures, valuation, appraisal and planning of aviation corporate finances; financial sources; financial prospects of the industry.
The continuing effects of economic deregulation and intensified competition have profound impacts on the aviation industry. Aviation financial management encompasses financial analysis, modelling and various other methods used to solve financial challenges faced by organisations in the industry.
• Use the concept of ‘time value of money’ to synthesise and compare alternative outcomes for the corporate decision-making process
• Evaluate various corporate strategic decision-making techniques to a variety of long-term planning scenarios
• Compare and assess the performance of the aviation industry both historically and currently
• Appraise financial statements such as balance sheets, financial ratios, etc. and evaluate how theses statements and ratios are used in evaluating the financial health of a company
• Give an appraisal of financial plans and long-term business viability
• The various sources for financial funding
• Appraise the future financial health of the industry
At the end of this module, Students will be able to:
• LO1 Analyse and evaluate aviation financial proposals using the ‘time value of money’
• LO2 Applies a systematic understanding to financial statements using ratios and also evaluate the various sources of aviation finance
Assessment of this module will take the form of a financial appraisal case study that looks into time value of money and four different appraisal methods.
Aviation financial managers have to make decisions on a variety of issues including the type of aircraft to buy, catering suppliers and so forth. The case study will equip students with the necessary skills to make competent decisions.
An examination complements the case study to evaluate student understanding and application of the key concepts in aviation finance without reference to sources.