Assignment: This assessment accounts for 60% of the total grade.
For this assignment, you are required to work in groups. Your group of 5-7 students will be confirmed by your unit tutor during your sessions. You will be required to produce a project management plan for a suitable project.
The Project Plan will include the use of Project Management tools and techniques studied and discussed in class.
This project plan assessment contains two parts, Part A and B:
Part A – Group presentation
This assignment is based on a real life project to ensure you (work in a group of 5 to 8) can apply and reflect on the project management knowledge and skills learnt.
- A group presentation of the project plan incoroprating the elements detailed below (presented in PowerPoint) will take place on the date confirmed by the tutors.
- Each team is required to submit a copy of their presenttaion slides prior to the presentation via BREO using the Assessmnet 1 presnetation submisison link under assessment and feedback page. Only one member of your team is required to submit the presentation on behalf of each team.
Length of presentation: 10 minutes + 5 minutes for questions and answer
Submission: Copy of PowerPoint slides (plus appendices) submitted via BREO using the Assessmnet 1 presnetation submisison link under Assessment & Feedback page.
1. Feasibility and Business Case/Benefits Analysis: (Needs to be detailed and cover points such as Reasons, Expected Benefits, Stakeholders, Key milestones, Costs, Net Benefits, Risks and Constraints)
2. Project Time Management
This includes the following 4 components:
a) Work Breakdown Structure
b) Activity List
- Activities should be the same as those listed in the WBS
- Samples of Completeness of activities to deliver project products
- Each Activity allocated to an individual project team member/s
These must be realistic, true to nature and applicable.
c) Network Diagram and Critical Path Analysis
3. Risk Analysis
- Risk Identification – How thorough?
- Risk Assessment – Probability Matrix….how realistic?
- Risk Responses – How appropriate?
- Risk Register/log Sample(s) provided
Part B – Individual PORTFOLIO report
You are required to produce an individual report of 3,500 (+/- 10%) words covering the delivery of a project for the given / chosen project to include all of the below (which you will have received feedback on during your presentation as detailed above):
- Time management (Work Breakdown Structure; Activity List; Network Diagram and Critical Path)
- Risk management plan including a risk Log and probability/impact matrix
- Critical discussion and a reflection of the Lessons Learnt from the project (Your individual reflection of your learning form the unit and producing this report as a part of a team)
- Review of lessons learnt from the project
- Consider what you have learnt about working in a group
- Reflect on individual learning
The company: For Assessment 2 - you are required to work on EMC Design (company profile is attached), and address the following project Brief:
- Company Website: https://emcdesign.org.uk/
The current website was built back in 2016 using Wordpress and is overdue a refresh. This year we have made a few minor tweaks with copy, made our logo and font choices more accessible and have updated with some more recent photos.
- We want to showcase our extensive portfolio better.
- Have less copy and better navigation around the “About us” section.
- Appeal to existing types of traditional clients (who like a lot of words!) but also to new organisations and companies who would benefit from our skillset – most likely in educational publishing or education/learning & development area.
- Showcase our growing digital design expertise better.
- Showcase our growing full-scale packaging department more.
- We are intending to make more use of video on the new website.
- We would like to have a press releases for sharing important news and updates.
- We are also keen on having a Subscriber Opt-in feature, A lot of orgs will opt for a pop-up that encourages visitors to sign up for the email newsletter in exchange for an incentive, such as a discount.
Time: not more than 3 months (+/- 3 weeks)
Cost: not more than £10,000 (+/- £500)
- The above is an actual project brief for EMC design company.
- You are expected to familiarize your-self with typical activities in web site design and development and create a project plan which is realistic and logical.
- The technical aspects of website design will not be assessed, instead you will be assessed based on whether if your proposed plan is realistic, logical and reasonable.
- Make sure to research the company’s profile
- The highest levels of presentation are expected for all assignments and poor presentation will be penalised.
- The ‘Harvard’ system of referencing should be used in your work.
- The group presentation slides should be included in the Appendix of your individual submission. Failure to do so, will result in a grade of “0”.
- You are expected to improve your work based on the feedback you received during the presentation.
- Part B, the individual report must be produced individually without any input from your group members