2.3 Evaluate the differences between open source and closed source software.
- Memory Address Register; MAR, Memory Data Register; MDR, Current Instruction Register; CIR). Storage devices: hard disk drive, ROM, flash drive, DVD/ Blu-ray Disc (BD).Input devices: touch screen, graphics tablet, gaming controller, microphone, mouse, keyboard.Output devices: printer, monitor, sound. Computer network connectivity: 3G, Wireless, Bluetooth, NIC.
- Software components: System software, Applications software, Software utilities.
- Open source vs closed source
- Pricing, availability, scope of engagement, structures, codes, platforms.
3. Be able to configure computer systems.
3.1 Analyse different operating systems and their suitability in managing resources in a professional environment.
3.2 Describe the characteristics of different styles of computer system users.
3.3 Evaluate suitable components to meet user requirements within a professional environment.
3.4 Configure a computer system for a given user requirement.
- Operating systems: Microsoft Windows (like Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP), Apple`s macOS (formerly OS X), Chrome OS, Linux, Unix, Ubuntu etc.
- System users: describe the characteristics of different styles of user interface, command- based, forms, dialogue, natural language, wimp interfaces (windows, icons, menus, pointer), and their appropriate uses.
- Requirements: users eg office, home; tasks eg data recording, photo/video editing, media.
- Home, Business, Networking, Real-time, Communication.
- Systems software: eg operating systems, systems software tools, diagnostic tools, file managers, disk utilities, back up, synchronisation; network connections eg workgroups, email, ftp.
- Applications software: office applications software e.g. word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, graphics, web browser, email client
- Utilities: clean up tools eg for cookies, internet history, defragmentation; drive formatting; antivirus, adblocker
- Connect and set up: equipment eg monitor, printer, modem/router, keyboard, mouse, speakers, microphone, RAM, hard drive
- Install hardware: components eg graphics card, sound card, CD/DVD drive
- Install software: operating system software eg Windows; applications software eg Microsoft Office; security software eg virus checkers, firewalls; device drivers; create appropriate directory/folder structures; other devices eg tablets / phones use other operating systems.